With crispy caramelized edges and an irresistible flavor, these oven roasted Indian sweet potatoes are sure to become your next favorite side or healthy snack.
They’re super easy to make and are an incredibly healthy vegan and gluten-free side dish that you can pair with almost any of your favorite foods
Crispy and spicy on the outside, soft and tender on the inside- they bring the perfect balance of flavors and textures to your palate.
I’ve tried quite a few recipes featuring potatoes as the hero ingredient. My Mexican potatoes and garlic parmesan potatoes were both enjoyed and loved, but I really wanted to create something with sweet potatoes this time- something more flavorful and bold.
And that’s when I thought of this recipe.
These potatoes are actually the perfect sheet pan recipe. You can team them up with some of your favorite veggies too, and turn it into a nice vegetable medley to go with any of your grilled meats or rice bowls.
- What's So Great About the Recipe?
- Ingredients For the Indian Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- How to Make Oven Roasted Indian Sweet Potatoes
- Substitutions & Variations
- 💭Top Tip
- Tips & Tricks to Nail the Recipe
- Serving Ideas & Suggestions
- Related Recipes
- Oven Roasted Indian Sweet Potatoes
- Food Safety
What's So Great About the Recipe?
My favorite part about this recipe has to be its versatility. The bold Indian flavors from the spices actually work wonderfully with the sweet potato cubes.
And of course, let’s not forget how we’ll be reaping the health benefits of sweet potatoes too.
This oven roasted version is my favorite, and that's because it is actually the easiest. You simply chop them up, season them, and pop them in the oven until they're done!
Ingredients For the Indian Sweet Potatoes Recipe
To make these Indian-spiced roasted sweet potatoes, here’s all you’ll need.
Sweet potatoes: Fresh sweet potatoes are the hero ingredient of the dish.
Olive oil: I used a generous amount of olive oil to help the spices coat the potatoes nicely. You can use some butter instead if you want to. Or some hot honey butter if you want some extra flavor.
Lemon juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice or lime juice brightens up the flavors of the dishes, and also brings in some vitamin C.
Garlic: Finely chopped or minced garlic is another must. It just elevates the flavor of the potatoes like nothing else. You can also choose to use garlic powder if you want to.
Red chili powder: Just a bit of red chili powder (or red pepper flakes) can add a nice bit of heat, which can perfectly balance the sweetness of the potatoes. You can also use paprika if you want to.
Cumin powder: Cumin powder adds a nice bit of earthiness to the dish. If you don’t have it, you can make it yourself by simply dry roasting some cumin seeds on a pan, cooling them down and then grinding them.
Seasonings: I kept the seasonings simple and just used some table salt, black pepper and brown sugar for that bit of caramelization.
Cilantro: I like to use a generous sprinkle of chopped cilantro or fresh coriander to garnish these roasted sweet potatoes. You can also try using other herbs of your choice.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Oven Roasted Indian Sweet Potatoes
Ready to make the roasted sweet potatoes? Here’s what you’ll need to do.
Chop up 2-3 medium sized sweet potatoes in ½ inch cubes.
In a mixing bowl, prepare a mixture of olive oil and the spices and toss the cut sweet potatoes in. Stir well, making sure they're nicely coated.
Layer them in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in an oven preheated at 425F for 10-15 minutes.
Flip midway through the cooking process and bake for a few more minutes, or until golden brown on all sides.
Substitutions & Variations
- The brown sugar is what balances the spice in this dish. If you're looking for a healthier alternative, you can just drizzle some honey over the sweet potatoes towards the end.
- You can also try replicating this recipe, but with a different seasoning. I loved how the sweet potatoes turned out with my homemade Dukkah spice blend.
- I used olive oil to help coat the sweet potatoes nicely with the spice mixture, but you can also choose to use ghee if you want to.
To lend the oven roasted sweet potatoes some extra flavor and earthiness, you can also add a pinch or two of allspice or garam masala powder to it.
If you have some leftovers, you can transfer them to a food safe container and refrigerate them for up to 3 days. Remember to reheat the curry on low heat, ideally over the stovetop in a heavy bottomed pot.
Tips & Tricks to Nail the Recipe
- When chopping the sweet potatoes, remember to keep them approximately the same size, so that they're all cooked evenly.
- It also makes sense to give the potatoes a quick shake midway through the cooking process so that they brown up nicely on all the sides.
- Remember not to overcrowd the baking sheet with too many of the chopped sweet potatoes. Ideally, there should be a bit of space between each piece for the heat to hi nicely.
- You can also choose to air fry the sweet potatoes, especially if you want some of that extra crispiness.
- You can also sprinkle some other Indian spices like turmeric, cinnamon and coriander powder if you want to.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
These perfectly seasoned Indian sweet potatoes can be enjoyed as a healthy snack. You can also turn them into a chaat by topping them with some whisked yogurt, your favorite sauces and chutneys, and digging right in!
These boldly seasoned sweet potatoes can also be a great addition to your rice bowls and salads. I also think you can use them as a filling with other veggies and protein for your wraps.
I also love the idea of drizzling some of my favorite tandoori mayonnaise over the oven roasted potatoes.
You can try tons of other variations to this recipe. Just drizzle some olive oil over the sweet potatoes and season them with anything from peri peri seasoning to garlic bread seasoning.
You can surely peel the sweet potatoes, but I would recommend keeping the skin on, because that's what caramelizes beautifully and lends the potatoes that nice crispiness you're looking for.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Oven Roasted Indian Sweet Potatoes
- 2-3 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pepper powder
- salt to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- Chop up 2-3 medium sized sweet potatoes in ½ inch cubes.
- In a mixing bowl, prepare a mixture of olive oil and the spices and toss the sweet potatoes in, making sure they're nicely coated.
- Layer them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in an oven preheated at 425F for 10-15 minutes.
- Flip midway through the cooking process and bake for a few more minutes, or until golden brown on all sides.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove