With crispy caramelized edges and an irresistible flavor, these oven roasted Indian sweet potatoes are sure to become your next favorite side or healthy snack.
They're super comforting, incredibly versatile and ridiculously easy to put together too. Plus, they're super nutritious, and can be a great way to help you get started with making healthier food choices.
These potatoes are actually the perfect sheet pan recipe. You can team them up with some of your favorite veggies too, and turn it into a nice vegetable medley to go with any of your grilled meats or rice bowls.
Plus, with the Indian flavors, they're bound to be a total hit with everyone in the house!
What's So Great About the Recipe?
Sweet potatoes are among the most versatile and delicious ingredients you could put to use in your kitchen. You could bake them, turn them into fries or wedges or even mash and use them in your casseroles.
This oven roasted version, however, is my favorite, and that's because it is actually the easiest. You simply chop them up, season them, and pop them in the oven until they're done!
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Red chili powder
- Cumin powder
- Brown sugar
- Black pepper powder
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make the Oven Roasted Indian Sweet Potatoes
Chop up 2-3 medium sized sweet potatoes in ½ inch cubes.
In a mixing bowl, prepare a mixture of olive oil and the spices and toss the sweet potatoes in, making sure they're nicely coated.
Layer them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in an oven preheated at 425F for 10-15 minutes.
Flip midway through the cooking process and bake for a few more minutes, or until golden brown on all sides.
Substitutions & Variations
- The brown sugar is what balances the spice in this dish. If you're looking for a healthier alternative, you can just drizzle some honey over the sweet potatoes towards the end.
- You can also try replicating this recipe, but with a different seasoning. I loved how the sweet potatoes turned out with my homemade Dukkah spice blend.
To lend the oven roasted sweet potatoes some extra flavor and earthiness, you can also add a pinch or two of allspice or garam masala powder to it.
If you have some leftovers, you can transfer them to a food safe container and refrigerate them for up to 3 days. Remember to reheat the curry on low heat, ideally over the stovetop in a heavy bottomed pot.
Tips & Tricks to Nail the Recipe
- When chopping the sweet potatoes, remember to keep them approximately the same size, so that they're all cooked evenly.
- It also makes sense to give the potatoes a quick shake midway through the cooking process so that they brown up nicely on all the sides.
- Remember not to overcrowd the baking sheet with too many of the chopped sweet potatoes. Ideally, there should be a bit of space between each piece for the heat to hi nicely.
- You can also choose to air fry the sweet potatoes, especially if you want some of that extra crispiness.
- To bring out the Indian flavors of the dish, squeeze a bit of lemon juice on the top, right before you serve.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
These perfectly seasoned Indian sweet potatoes can be enjoyed as is as a healthy snack. You can also turn them into a chaat by topping them with some whisked yogurt, your favorite sauces and chutneys, and digging right in!
These boldly seasoned sweet potatoes can also be a great addition to your rice bowls and salads. I also think you can use them as a filling with other veggies and protein for your wraps.
I also love the idea of drizzling some of my favorite tandoori mayonnaise over the oven roasted potatoes.
You can try tons of other variations to this recipe. Just drizzle some olive oil over the sweet potatoes and season them with anything from peri peri seasoning to garlic bread seasoning.
You can surely peel the sweet potatoes, but I would recommend keeping the skin on, because that's what caramelizes beautifully and lends the potatoes that nice crispiness you're looking for.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Oven Roasted Indian Sweet Potatoes
- 2-3 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pepper powder
- salt to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- Chop up 2-3 medium sized sweet potatoes in ½ inch cubes.
- In a mixing bowl, prepare a mixture of olive oil and the spices and toss the sweet potatoes in, making sure they're nicely coated.
- Layer them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in an oven preheated at 425F for 10-15 minutes.
- Flip midway through the cooking process and bake for a few more minutes, or until golden brown on all sides.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove