Love tacos? You've got to try this TikTok inspired Air Fryer walking tacos recipe.
Ground meat, taco seasoning and lots of other toppings are piled into a bag of chips and enjoyed as a game day snack or a party food in this super easy recipe.
These delicious walking tacos are just what they sound like- your favorite taco toppings and some taco meat piled onto some corn chips in a bag. No plates, no serving dishes.
Walking tacos are perfect for taco Tuesday or as a snack for when you're watching a football game.
If you don't have taco shells, and are still craving for a creamy, salty and flavorful snack, these tacos in a bag should do it for you.
Another plus is the fact that you can enjoy individual sized portions of this walking taco recipe, and even adjust the seasonings and add-ons based on what you like and prefer.
- What's So Great About the Recipe?
- Ingredients For the Air Fryer Walking Tacos Recipe
- How to Make Air Fryer Walking Tacos
- Substitutions & Variations
- 💭Top Tip
- How to Store the Leftover Air Fryer Walking Tacos
- Tips & Tricks to Nail the Recipe
- How to Serve the Air Fryer Walking Tacos
- Related Recipes
- Air Fryer Walking Tacos
- Food Safety
What's So Great About the Recipe?
I absolutely love this recipe for many reasons.
Apart from being a perfect party food, they're also super easy to put together. All you need is a bag of chips, your favorite toppings and you've got your taco in a bag ready to be enjoyed.
These walking tacos have the right balance of flavors and textures- the crunchy chips, the meat and toppings and the cheese all work wonderfully with each other, coming together in a dish that everyone will love and enjoy.
And best of all, no dishes to wash- everyone just eats from a bag. It doesn't get better than this.
Ingredients For the Air Fryer Walking Tacos Recipe
Ground beef: You can start off with cooked ground beef, or just air fry the ground beef until it is done, allow it to cool down and then use it for the recipe.
Taco seasoning mix: I used a simple taco seasoning mix to add some extra flavor to the walking tacos.
Lettuce: Shredded lettuce can lend a nice element of crunch to the walking tacos and can bring some freshness too.
Doritos: You can use any kind of Doritos you like. My favorites are Nacho Cheese Doritos and Cool Ranch Doritos, since their flavors work wonderfully with the other flavors.
Onion: Chopped onions lend some nice pungent flavor to this taco dish, and also bring in some crunch factor.
Tomatoes: Diced tomatoes can be nice and juicy and are a great addition to these walking tacos.
Sour cream: Sour cream helps blend all the ingredients together and brings some moisture, creaminess and tanginess to the dish.
Shredded cheese: When you make walking tacos, shredded cheese is an absolute must.
Jalapenos: Jalapenos lend the walking tacos a nice spicy and fiery kick. You can skip these if you don't tolerate heat well.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Air Fryer Walking Tacos
Gently press on the bag of Doritos to crush the chips a bit
Spoon some ground beef into the bag of Doritos.
Follow it up with other toppings- add as much as you prefer
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Substitutions & Variations
- I've used ground beef for this recipe, but you can also make do with ground chicken or ground turkey. The idea is to have a nice and filling protein to load into the chip bag.
- Corn chips and nachos are the most versatile choice for this recipe, but if you don't have them, you can easily make tortilla chips by air frying or deep frying tortillas cut into triangles, and then use them for this recipe.
- If you don't have either of these, you can use bags of Fritos too!
- You can also whip up some avocado lime crema or some creamy avocado ranch sauce. and use it instead of sour cream.
To cut down the assembling time for this recipe, you can cook ground beef in advance and refrigerate it for up to 2 days, or even freeze it if you want it to last longer.
How to Store the Leftover Air Fryer Walking Tacos
Since these walking tacos use fresh ingredients, they are best served and enjoyed while they're fresh. Even if you do have some leftovers that you've stored in an airtight container in a refrigerator, they won't taste as great as when the tacos where put together fresh.
The chips will end up losing their crunchiness and the veggies will release water, which will make the tacos not so appealing.
Tips & Tricks to Nail the Recipe
These Air Fryer walking tacos are perfect for game day, and while they're super easy to put together, here are some additional tips and tricks that you may want to take note of.
- If you want to make this side dish easier to eat, especially if you're putting these together for children, you may want to crush the chips before you add the toppings in.
- If you fancy a bit of spice and a kick of heat to this dish, you can also add some of your favorite hot sauce along with the other toppings.
- I would also recommend sprinkling some of your favorite seasonings for a bit of additional flavor. Tajin seasoning and taco seasoning are both great choices.
- Green onions and jalapenos can also be wonderful additions to your bag of nachos along with the taco meat.
- Remember to add the toppings into each bag of nachos right when you intend to serve them. Adding them in too early will cause them to lose their texture.
- If you're planning on making these for your entire family, you can put everything together in a casserole. Just start with a layer or Doritos, then some ground meat, then your chopped veggies and sour cream, and top it with some cheese.
How to Serve the Air Fryer Walking Tacos
This Air Fryer walking tacos is a fantastic recipe in many ways. It is perfect for parties when you need a to put together a snack-size dish with minimal ingredients.
Homemade guacamole can be a great topping for your walking tacos. It can lend some freshness to the beef mixture, and also gives the dish a good punch of healthy fats.
I also love throwing some salsa into the mix to lend some extra flavor to this on-the-go snack, be it a nice Pico de Gallo or my all time favorite jalapeno pineapple salsa.
At a House Party
These Air Fryer walking tacos are great for a house party. You can set up a walking taco bar with bags of corn chips (think Doritos or Fritos), cooked taco meat, bowls of toppings, some plastic forks and some dips and add-ons.
You can top these walking tacos with pretty much any taco fixings or the favorite taco ingredients of your choice. Black beans, chopped avocado, black olives and green chiles are all good options.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Air Fryer Walking Tacos
- 2 bags Doritos
- 1 cup ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoon spring onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomatoes chopped
- 2 tablespoon lettuce chopped
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 jalapenos chopped
- 2 tablespoon shredded cheese
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- Gently press on the bag of Doritos to crush the chips a bit
- Spoon some ground beef into the bag of Doritos.
- Follow it up with other toppings- add as much as you prefer
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove