Light and crispy, this Air Fryer Parmesan asparagus is a great vegetarian and gluten free side dish for any occasion.
Fresh asparagus spears are tossed in olive oil, garlic and simple seasonings and roasted to perfection in the Air Fryer before being topped with grated Parmesan cheese.
With just under 15 minutes of prep and cook time, this is one super easy recipe you absolutely need to try out.
I like to stick to vegetarian side dishes that are quick and easy to make, especially when I’m entertaining.
Quite recently, I’ve been putting my Air Fryer to use quite often, and when my Air Fryer zucchini and squash recipe turned out a big hit, I knew I had to try another recipe too!
- What's So Great About the Recipe?
- Ingredients For the Air Fryer Parmesan Asparagus Recipe
- How to Make Air Fryer Parmesan Asparagus
- Substitutions & Variations
- 💭Top Tip
- How to Store the Leftover Air Fried Asparagus
- Tips & Tricks to Nail the Recipe
- How to Serve Air Fried Parmesan Asparagus
- Related Recipes
- Air Fryer Parmesan Asparagus
- Food Safety
What's So Great About the Recipe?
I have a certain inclination towards roasted asparagus, and this easy Air Fryer recipe has recently become my favorite because of its simplicity.
And let’s not forget the fact that this beautiful veggie is a great source of fiber and yet low in calories.
Another big plus is the fact that this recipe is great for those with dietary restrictions, and is super adaptable too!
Ingredients For the Air Fryer Parmesan Asparagus Recipe
Ready to make asparagus in the Air Fryer? Here’s all you’ll need.
Asparagus: To get the best flavor and crunch factor, you’ll need to use fresh asparagus spears.
Garlic: Nothing beats the flavor and deliciousness of fresh garlic in this recipe. Just a few cloves can work wonderfully.
Olive oil: I’m partial to extra virgin olive oil, but you could totally use regular olive oil or any other cooking oil of your choice.
Parmesan cheese: And of course, you’ll also need some grated or shredded Parmesan cheese to sprinkle over the crispy asparagus.
Italian herbs: Mixed Italian herbs are my favorite, and I love using them to add just a little extra flavor to the dish.
Seasonings: I kept the seasonings simple with some red chili flakes, salt and pepper.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Air Fryer Parmesan Asparagus
Ready to try this air-fried asparagus recipe? Here’s what you’ll need to do.
Wash and dry the asparagus, and trim ½ to 1 inch off the end of the stalk.
Preheat your Air Fryer to 400°F.
Place the asparagus in a single layer in your Air Fryer basket.
Drizzle olive oil over the asparagus and sprinkle your seasonings, garlic and Parmesan.
Cook asparagus for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese browns up nicely.
How Can I Make Oven Roasted Parmesan Asparagus?
This Parmesan asparagus is a simple recipe that you can try in the oven too.
Simply add the asparagus to the oven preheated at 425 degrees, and cook for 15-20 minutes.
Remember to top with Parmesan cheese towards the end of the cooking process- around the 12 minute mark.
Also Read: Crispy Parmesan Potatoes
Substitutions & Variations
- If you don’t have fresh minced garlic, you can use a dash of garlic powder instead.
- You can also try using some roasted garlic to amplify the flavor of the dish.
- Another great version of this Air Fryer asparagus recipe is to use some herb infused oil or a compound butter (like my pesto butter) instead of olive oil.
Remember that thick asparagus stalks will take slightly longer to cook.
How to Store the Leftover Air Fried Asparagus
Just like most other air fried foods, this garlic Parmesan asparagus is best enjoyed right away- the vegetable can lose its crunchy texture if you store it for later.
That said, if you do have some leftovers, you can refrigerate them for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
You can reheat the asparagus in the Air Fryer again at 400 degrees for just a few minutes.
Tips & Tricks to Nail the Recipe
- Make sure you chop off the tough, woody ends of asparagus before you air fry them.
- If you’re not lining the Air Fryer basket with parchment paper, you may want to grease the basket before you place asparagus inside.
- You can also choose to sprinkle the asparagus with Parmesan cheese towards the end- around the 4 minute mark. This will get the cheese to just melt slightly instead of browning up.
- I would recommend using freshly grated Parmesan cheese as opposed to pre-shredded cheese, specifically when it comes to cooking asparagus in the Air Fryer.
- You can also add a spicy kick to the asparagus by drizzling some hot sauce of your choice, or adding a pinch of cayenne along with the other ingredients.
- To make a vegan version of this dish, skip adding the Parmesan cheese and sprinkle some nutritional yeast instead.
- To check if the asparagus is done cooking, press onto it. It should be crisp on the outside and still nice and tender.
How to Serve Air Fried Parmesan Asparagus
The simplest way to serve the Parmesan crusted asparagus is to top it with a nice squeeze of lemon juice right before you serve it, and some lemon wedges on the side.
But if you really want to go the extra mile, here are a few good ideas to get you inspired.
Also Read: Blackened Corn | Skillet Charred Corn
As a Side
This easy Air Fryer asparagus is the perfect side dish recipe to turn to when you’re looking for something that has simple, subtle flavors and is versatile enough to be paired with anything.
I also love pairing it with my all time favorite gluten free broccoli cheddar soup.
With a Dip
This Air Fryer asparagus with Parmesan can also be teamed up with a nice dip, and enjoyed as a healthy snack.
Choose bright green, tender asparagus stalks that are firm to touch, and not too soft and mushy.
The thickness of the asparagus matters a lot here. Remember to trim asparagus ends before you use it for the recipe.
While you can use frozen asparagus to make the air fried Parmesan asparagus, I wouldn’t recommend it, simply because you won’t get the same texture you’re looking for.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Air Fryer Parmesan Asparagus
- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- Wash and dry the asparagus, and trim ½ to 1 inch off the end of the stalk.
- Preheat your Air Fryer to 400°F.
- Place the asparagus in a single layer in your Air Fryer basket.
- Drizzle olive oil over the asparagus and sprinkle your seasonings, garlic and Parmesan.
- Cook asparagus for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese browns up nicely.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove